History of Geological Engineering ITB
The history of the Geology Engineering Study Program at ITB is closely related with the geological educational development in Indonesia that has been started since the days of the Dutch occupation of Indonesia. It was Theodorus Henricus Franciscus Klompe, famous as Professor Klompe who first appointed as lecturer of geology at University Indonesia in 1948. Klompe first introduced the Department in 1950 as part of Faculty of Science, University of Indonesia in Bandung. His Professor title was awarded in March 1951, at the Department of Geology, faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at the university. Later, he became the head of this department. It is then opened up a new era of the hystory of the science of geology in Indonesia.
Under his guidance, the students who were able to complete their studies and obtain the degree of “Drs” included S. Sigit, S. Sartono, J.A. Katili, Johannas, M.T. Zen, and Koesmono.
In 1959, the Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) was established. The Mining and Geology Section was developed under the Department of Mineral Technology (DTM), marking the birth of the Department of Geology at ITB. Between 1963 and 1984, the Bandung Institute of Technology underwent two organizational changes. In 1973, the third part of the Department of Minerals Technologies merged with the Sections of Mechanical, Electrical, Mechanical, and Chemical Engineering Physics, forming the Faculty of Industrial Technology. The title was then replaced as part of the Department. The inclusion in the Faculty of Industrial Technology lasted until 1984 when, in another reorganization, the Department of Geology, Mines, and Petroleum Engineering was reincorporated into the Faculty of Mineral Technology as the Department of Geology, Mining, and Petroleum Engineering. This realignment was in accordance with P.P. No. 5 of 1950 on the Principles of Organization of University/Institute of State, P.P. No. 27 of 1981 on Monitoring of the Faculty at University/Institute of Internal Affairs, the Minister of Education and Culture No. 0135/O/1993 dated February 27, 1993, on the Organization and Work Procedure of Bandung Institute of Technology, and Ministry of Education and Culture No. 0211/U/1982 dated June 26, 1982, on Higher Education Program in the Ministry of Education and Culture. The Department of Mining Engineering is now under the Faculty of Mineral Technology along with the Department of Geology and the Petroleum Engineering Department.
At the end of 1998, the Faculty of Mineral Technology (FTM) was changed to the Faculty of Earth Sciences and Mineral Technology (FIKTM) in accordance with the Decree of the Minister of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia No. 208-0/1998 dated August 25, 1998. The amendment changed the nomenclature of the Mineral Technology Faculty at Bandung Institute of Technology to the Faculty of Earth Sciences and Mineral Technology. In the decree, the Department of Geophysics and Meteorology, under the auspices of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences (MIPA), joined the Geophysical Engineering Program under the auspices of FIKTM.
Since 1999, the Department has been a part of the Faculty of Earth Science and Mineral Technology at ITB. For over 40 years, the Department has been the largest Earth Science Department in Indonesia and has maintained accreditation with a very good grade “A” since 1998.