The educational objectives in Geological Engineering Study Program in Faculty of Earth Science and Technology is:
- To produce graduates who have strong fundamental knowledge so that he/she is flexible to adapt the rapid development of science and technology, and success in their profession.
- To produce graduates who are able to develop their knowledge at a higher level so they are acceptable to continue further education and finish well
- To produce graduates who have the attitude and behavior that have positive impact in community (hard and soft skills) as well as showing leadership in their environment.
These objectives strongly support the national competences framework for undergraduate education (National Qualification Framework) and are consistent with the mission of the institution (FITB and ITB). Their consistency with ITB and FITB missions is realized through producing graduates with a strong capability to comprehend and master the geological engineering knowledge and geological-related problems. This capability enables the graduates to be professionals who take a part as a leading role as researcher, lecturer, teacher, industrial expert, as well as entrepreneur in national and international development.
Table 1 Objectives of the Undergraduate Program in Geological Engineering versus National Qualification Framework
|Specific Criteria of National Qualification Framework|
|Capable to apply science, technology, and/or art in their expertise and adaptable to various situations faced during solving a problem.||Mastering in-depth general and specific theoretical concepts of a certain knowledge and capable to formulate related problem solving procedure||Capable to make strategic decisions build upon data and information analysis and be able to give a clue in choosing several alternative solutions||Responsible for own work and can be held accountable for the achievement of the organization’s work
Learning Outcomes of the Degree Program
Leaning outcomes for the Undergraduate Program in Geological Engineering are defined according to the input from these several stakeholders such as professors, lecturers, researchers, alumni, geologist community, stakeholders and collaborators, as well as students will also be participated in the definition process of the learning outcomes.
According to those bases, Undergraduate Program of Geological Engineering has set the Program Learning Outcomes for the graduates as follows:
- Students will be able to explain various natural and geological concepts, theories, processes, terminologies and features or products formed by various geological processes as well as technologies related to geological science.
- Students will be able to define geological problems and design appropriate approach and methods that can be utilized using both computer- and non-computer-based techniques.
- Students will be able to carry out different methods in the field and laboratory to gather geological data following HSE regulations.
- Students will be able to execute various methods to process geological data in situations in which they are appropriate via both paper- and computer-based techniques.
- Students will be able to generate a sound geological interpretation of a given area based on available data.
- Students will be able to perform time management, able to work individually and within groups during task completion and communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
- Students will be able to implement various geological concepts and theories for scientific research, exploration, hazard mitigation, and environmental purposes as a basis for their continuous learning and in accordance to common norm values (ethic) and legal practice.
- Students will have appreciation of both nationalism and global awareness relevant to their subject of studies.
- Students will have an appreciation of entrepreneurship.