Since 2006, all new student enrolled in faculty/school. They do not directly enter the program. Student admission for all faculty and school within ITB is held by Executive Directorate of Management Admissions and Education Cooperation ITB. Since 2011, ITB has been using national-wide student admission system. The national admission committee is composed from all state university delegates. Based on regulation of Ministry of Education No. 034/2010, student admission for state university is categorized into two types which both is equivalent:
- Student admission based on written and skill test (SBMPTN)
SBMPTN is a selection for national university entrance examination system conducted nationally by a centralized committee appointed by the Indonesian State University Rector Board with the selection based on the result on the written examination in the form of paper (Print Based Test) or using a computer (Computer Based Test), or a combination of the results of the written exam and skills test prospective students.
SBMPTN examination consist of tests such as:
- Basic academic and potential test (Basic Math, Bahasa Indonesia, English, Verbal, Numerical, and Figural Ability.
- Basic Science test, consist of Math, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
The purpose of SBMPTN implementation is to select new student candidates who have an academic ability to follow and complete education at the university in accordance with the established time limit and also to reach the university goals.
- Student admission based on academic performance (SNMPTN)
There are two main parameters used in this type of selection, i.e. student and school performance. Student performance is evaluated through subject score during high school and other relevant academic achievement (such as relevant science competition). Students who apply to the Faculty of Art and Design must send their portfolio on art and design. School performance is evaluated, among other, based on their respective accreditation score.
Under the state law number 12 year 2012, the state requires all public universities to admit students who have good academic ability but have financial difficulties, or comes from the outer part of the country, with a proportion of at least 20% capacity of new students accepted in university. The government and university share financial responsibility for those students.
Each year the applicants to FITB is approximately more than 1000 applicants and only 5-10% admitted (Table 1-9). These indicates that the students who are accepted at FITB are competent enough students and are considered ready to continue their studies in ITB. The number of applicants are not stable in the last couple of year, but it is also affected by the current issues of falling commodity price such as oil & gas and coal, it is showed by the decreasing applicants number just into 626 applicants and 26% admitted (Figure 1-2). Meanwhile the earth science and engineering are not just about main industry commodity, there are also another potential that should be developed.
During the first year, the new students registered as student of Faculty of Earth Science and Technology (FITB) and together with the other new students of ITB, they enrolled the ‘Common Preparatory Level – Tahap Persiapan Bersama (TPB)’. By the end of the first year program, each students pick the study program within FITB, which are Geological Engineering, Geodetic and Geomatics Engineering, Meteorology, or Oceanography. They will rank the study programs according to their interest. Student placement is considered by faculty team with this following mechanism:
- Every department formulate a score criteria based on the grade of the Common Preparatory Level. A specific course may have different weight for each program.
- Students are listed based on their first choice of study program. If the department has enough capacity to accept all the students which have the first choice, all students would be accepted to the program.
- If the capacity of the program is less than the number of students which have the first choice, they would be listed based on score calculated b formula of the respective program. The program will accept student with higher score until its capacity is fully filled.
- The rest of the students are placed at second and third choices with similar process, for example based on rank of score for each program.
- All the students of FITB are finally distributed into four programs within FITB which is: Undergraduate Program in Geological Engineering, Undergraduate Program in Geodetic and Geomatics Engineering, Undergraduate Program in Meteorological Science, Undergraduate Program in Oceanography Science. The Geological Engineering program require that the students must not be color blind.
International student can apply to be ITB student in accordance with the government regulation. Foreign student can start study from the first year in ITB and or transfer from their university in line with the specific requirements in ITB. International students can apply for education in ITB to the rectorate by completing this following requirements:
- Curriculum vitae and educational history
- Photocopy of diploma and academic transcript of the latest study
- A photocopy of valid passport
- English Proficiency Skills
The admission of international students done through selection and entrance exams, or a special selection made by ITB. If students is admitted, Rector of ITB will send a letter of acceptance directly to the applicant. Foreign students who have been accepted, shall meet the following requirements:
- Have study permit from the Higher Education Ministry
- Pass the medical test organized by ITB
- Have valid health insurance in Indonesia