Undergraduate Program in Geological Engineering should be able to produce graduates who area skilled and able to develop in a variety of related disciplines. The graduates must also has good moral, wise and prudent, and be able to cooperate with other disciplines.
This goal is pictured in Undergraduate Program in Geological Engineering ITB vision, which is:
- Leading educational institution in the development of science and technology in the fields of geology
- Produce graduates who are qualified and able to think in a wide perspective, multidisciplinary, has good moral, uphold the scientific truth and intuitive truth, and embraces academic freedom.
- Take an active role in the development of basic and applied science, especially in energy and mineral resource exploration, geological hazard and mitigation, and environment.
To achieve above vision, Undergraduate Program in Geological Engineering should be able to perform its obligations as a higher education institution. Contribution in the education, research and community service is a basic mandatory that must be done for the development of science, especially in the field of geology. For that purpose, education must be implemented on the basis of moral and culture of Indonesia with the acquisition of appropriate technology so that the graduates can develop their knowledge and meet the needs of the society. Students should be provided with basic knowledge in geology and its application reflected in the curriculum that is flexible and evaluated and upgraded sustainably. The education process is also associated with the development of teaching staff, hence it is important that the teaching staff must contribute to the research to contribute the development of geological science in Indonesia.
To achieve that obligations, the vision is outlined in the mission of Undergraduate Program in Geological Engineering ITB, as follows:
- Implement Tri Dharma Perguruan Tinggi (The code of higher education institution in Indonesia)
- Implement educational programs based on the development and progress of science and technology to construct a flexible curriculum.
- Implement and improve the development of teaching staff and students in an integrated manner. Its graduates are expected to develop the application and develop science and technology, in the role of improvisation and innovation of production processes.
- To encourage cooperation with government agencies and relevant private.
Geological Engineering of ITB try to answer several challenges that may be faced in the future, such as:
- The development of geoscience
- The scarce of energy and geological resources
- Natural disasters (identification, detection, and mitigation)
- Environmental problems.
The educational purposes in Geological Engineering Department in Faculty of Earth Science and Technology is:
- To produce graduates who have strong fundamental knowledge so that he/she is flexible to adapt the rapid development of science and technology, and success in their profession.
- To produce graduates who are able to develop their knowledge at a higher level so they are acceptable to continue further education and finish well
- To produce graduates who have the attitude and behavior that have positive impact in community (hard and soft skills) as well as showing leadership in their environment.
Every graduate from Undergraduate Program of Geological Engineering ITB is expected to:
- Understand the basic knowledge of geology and it’s applications, capable in conducting descriptive research, think logic and rational, as well as have the intellectual ability, mastery of knowledge and high expertise, have a global conception, sensitive to local conditions have the potential to grow and willing to learn throughout life in order to equip themselves with the latest knowledge and information.
- Have the ability to collect and process geological data from various data sources (field and non-field data) with high creativity and innovative, as well as systematical thinking to understand how a system works in a whole process in order to obtain a comprehensive picture of the system.
- Have the skills to apply geological knowledge and sensitive to the problems that occur in the community and be able to analyze it in terms of geology and related sciences, including the ability to diagnose and develop problem-solving strategies that are non-routine to develop metacognitive capacity in the form of creative and innovative reflection regarding problem solving strategies.
- Have the ability to develop knowledge and skills that have been held to a higher lever
- Have the ability to collaborate and communicate in conducting an event with emotional maturity characterized by high self-confidence, independent, expressing opinion very well, appreciate differences of opinion, have empathy and social sensitivity, reliable, and able to work in teams across disciplines and response to the contemporary issues.
Have ethical in performing it’s function in society, both in professional organizations and in community, with moral good, noble character, leadership, entrepreneurial spirit, competency, and willing to build and maintain the integrity of the nation.
Intended Learning Outcomes of the Degree Program
According to those bases, Undergraduate Program of Geological Engineering has set the Program Learning Outcomes for the graduates as follows:
- Students will be able to explain various natural and geological concepts, theories, processes, terminologies and features or products formed by various geological processes as well as technologies related to geological science.
- Students will be able to define geological problems and design appropriate approach and methods that can be utilized using both computer- and non-computer-based techniques.
- Students will be able to carry out different methods in the field and laboratory to gather geological data following HSE regulations.
- Students will be able to execute various methods to process geological data in situations in which they are appropriate via both paper- and computer-based techniques.
- Students will be able to generate a sound geological interpretation of a given area based on available data.
- Students will be able to perform time management, able to work individually and within groups during task completion and communicate effectively in oral and written forms.
- Students will be able to implement various geological concepts and theories for scientific research, exploration, hazard mitigation, and environmental purposes as a basis for their continuous learning and in accordance to common norm values (ethic) and legal practice.
- Students will have appreciation of both nationalism and global awareness relevant to their subject of studies.
- Students will have an appreciation of entrepreneurship.